Re: draft-iab-dns-applications - clarification re: Send-N

On 20October2010Wednesday, at 13:47, Richard Shockey wrote:

> Well Bill with due respect, the data that most of us would like to use for
> this class of application is very static and its sources are very
> authoritative. That which is somewhat volatile is easy to sync such as Local
> Number Portability data or line status. There is a staggering amount of data
> in the field that Infrastructure oriented ENUM works and works well in the
> field. Speed and scale were the keys and the desire NOT to have another
> protocol stack in mission critical network elements such as the CSCF or SBC
> at the edge of the SIP/IMS networks.

	right... but only rarely in the DNS world do edge nodes actually go hit
	the authoritative sources.  much/most of the time they hit a cache, often
	one run by a random third party.   Now if one presumes DNSSEC signed
	data, then most of my concerns evaporate.

> But the larger issue is this. When the ENUM WG was rechartered it was
> explicit that this class of application was in scope. Now for some
> inexplicable reason its out of scope. I want to know why.

	that is a very good question.  the concerns wrt data "bloat" are much less
	of an issue now than they might have been last century.

> This document is a terrible attempt at an ex post facto architectural
> decision that is significantly damaging to those of us who want to make
> things in SIP work better. As a practical matter I want to know are all of
> these proposals for PSTN metadata, trunk group, SPID, source URI etc are now
> out of scope for IETF standardization. Even as private deployments?  If so
> than the IESG and the IAB should say so explicitly now and not waste our
> time in Prague on a BOF that will never be chartered.

	well... if its done faster/better outside the IETF by an industry group...

> I personally find section 5.1 unusually amusing as if now the IAB wants to
> say split-DNS "should be considered harmful". Leakage in to the public DNS
> .. geez really. Like what where are the examples of the harm? So who put
> ringtones in the DNS :-)

	oh... leakage into the public DNS means that the root nameservers have to be
	over-provisioned by a couple orders of magnitude to deal with the crap that should
	be in private space but leaked out and can't be resolved.    Thats a real cost and
	its handwaived over by most folks.  "Someone else will deal w/ it."

	ringtones?  can't say for sure.  I know there calculators, games, books, and
	SSH  & HTTP sessions running through the DNS.  Ringtones?  Piece of Cake.

--bill