Re: Fisking vs Top-Posting

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Rex" <mrex@xxxxxxx>
To: "Randy Dunlap" <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:54 PM

> Stripping quoted text to the relevant would be a HUGE improvement.
>
> Some Mails arrive with quotations that are extremely hard to read,
> due to lack of visual clue, like vertical whitespace and indentation
> with quotation character.
>
> > original comment 1
> > [zz] comment 1zz
> > original comment 2
> > original comment 3
> > original comment 4
> > [zz] comment 4zz
> [yy] comment 4yy
> > original comment 5
> > original sig
> > [zz] 2nd sig
>

> When the ratio new/quoted is small, then (a) stripping to the relevant
> is often inadequate or hasn't been done and (b) explicit top or bottom
> posting is preferable.
>
> Suggestion to [zz]:
>   - change your quoting style (quoting char, vertical whitespace)
>   - did you really need to quote "original comment 2", "original comment 3"
>     and "original sig"?

Martin

Would that I could change my quoting style.  My MUA, supplied by the
organisation that supplies most of the world's MUAs, will put in a greater than
sign as a quoting char provided you sent me 7bit .

But should you use quoted-printable, then there is no quoting character and I am
reduced to inserting XML style tags.

Mutter, mutter, mutter

Tom Petch