Re: Discussion of draft-hardie-advance-mechanics-00.txt

On Sep 20, 2010, at 11:51 AM, Martin Rex wrote:

> Keith Moore wrote:
>>
>> I would strongly object to a change to our process that removed
>> the requirement to demonstrate interoperability.
>>
>> If we need additional incentives to advancement, perhaps we should
>> require that proposed standards revert to informational or historic
>> if no action is taken within three years.
>> (action being: recycle at proposed, advance to draft)
>
> As I understand it, the original draft requirement (demonstrating interop)
> was to improve the specification in several aspects:
>
>  - ensure that there are implementations of the specification,
>    because implementing a spec is a good method to uncover inconsistencies,
>    ambiguities and contradictions
>
>  - ensure that there are multiple independent implementations in order
>    to find out whether independent implementers understand the spec
>    in the same fashion.
>
>  - find out which of the (interoperable) features of a spec are necessary
>    and which one are more in the direction of bloat
>

> Recycling a spec on proposed will primarily add new features, and include
> errata and potential clarifications, but rarely drop features.

I certainly recall instances where features were dropped from the Draft Standard version of a specification precisely because interoperability had not been demonstrated.

> Therefore I'm no sure that "recycling" at proposed should be considered
> a valid substitute for a demonstration of interoperability between
> independent implementations.  At least, there should be a limit as to
> how often recycling a spec at proposed should "exempt" a working group
> from demonstrating interoperability.

Hmm.  I wouldn't consider recycling at proposed to be a substitute for demonstration of interoperability, but rather, a demonstration that there continues to be interest in working on the protocol.   Presumably that means that the protocol is useful and that there is a real need to continue investing in the specification.   (Of course it might have been better if the WG had done a better job with the original design, but it's hard to make a general statement about that.  Sometimes protocols get used very differently than was anticipated by the WG.)

At any rate, when a document gets recycled at proposed several times, I don't think it's due to avoidance of interoperability testing needed for Draft Standard. I suspect it's more likely to be because interoperability testing and/or experience has indicated that further work is needed.

Keith