Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

On Sep 14, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Richard Bennett wrote:

> I wonder how many people realize that X.25 was a direct descendant of ARPANET, and that BB&N became a leading supplier of X.25 hardware simply by continuing the IMP down its evolutionary path.

I was at BBN at the time this was going on.  BBN implemented X.25 because it needed a "standardized" interface to the network instead of BBN's proprietary 1822 interface and choose X.25.  X.25 was developed in parallel to the Arpanet and I disagree that it "was a direct descendant of ARPANET".  It has a very different interface (connection oriented vs. message oriented) that IMHO was not an improvement.

Bob

p.s. I suggest that BBN use Ethernet instead but that didn't get any traction.  I am pretty sure the world would be different had they followed my suggestion.