Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpm-urgent-data-06.txt> (On the implementation of the TCP urgent mechanism) to Proposed Standard

Hi, Keith,

>>> * No requirements are imposed on TCP implementations.
>> The "requirement" on TCP implementations is in Section 4 (page 7).
>> However, it doesn't use RFC 2119 language as the text that it is
>> updating (RFC 793, RFC 1122) doesn't use RFC-2119, either.
>
> Mumble.  I really don't like the term "updating" when referring to
> existing RFCs because we don't change the text of those RFCs.

RFC's that update other RFCs explicitly indicate so in the front page.
So I don't see there's a conflict with the use of the term "Updates".

> The point here is that your draft doesn't actually make it very clear
> that you're revising the TCP specification.    I get the impression
> that you are assuming that there's no actual need to change the
> specification, because most existing implementations already behave
> according to your recommendation.

I don't follow. The fact that this document updates the specs is even
stated in the very Abstract of the document.

I'll wait for others to comment on this issue....

>>> * This document also does not place any constraints on
>>> intermediaries, even though the document itself acknowledges that
>>>  intermediaries interfere with operation of the TCP urgent
>>> facility.
>> No TCP specs that I know of accommodate packet scrubbers or
>> firewalls that simply decide to clear a bit, etc (except for NATs,
>> which are a completely different issue). When they do (e.g., ECN),
>> it's to discourage such behavior.
>
> Mumble.  This is obviously a lot bigger problem than just this one
> document.  But it is a huge problem that IETF has, and (because it's
> so limited in scope) your document is as good a place as any to start
> addressing it.
>
> IETF nearly always takes a "somebody else's problem" view with
> respect to intermediaries.    IETF will impose requirements on
> endpoints, or make recommendations for endpoints, to work around
> harmful behavior of intermediaries.   But IETF rarely imposes
> requirements on intermediaries, or makes recommendations for
> intermediaries to follow.

I guess the rationale is that any intermediary that clears e.g. the URG
bit is violating the specs. So the advice would be "don't violate the
specs".

An I really doubt it that even if you had RFCs that explicitly required
intermediaries to not do these things (e.g. clear bits in the TCP
header), they wouldn't mind.

> There are lots of problems with this approach, not the least of which
> is that IETF is in nowhere nearly as good a position to communicate
> to application developers, as it is to communicate to vendors of
> intermediaries.     Another reason I believe this approach is
> unsound, is that it constantly shifts the burden of coping with
> violations of the Internet Protocol to endpoints - host stacks and
> applications - to the point that there is very little that endpoints
> can safely assume about the behavior of the network anymore.

I agree. But the world is... what it is. Once those boxes are there
(deployed), you cannot assume the mechanism is reliable.

Cisco Pix, a widely deployed device, clears the URG bit. Hence I don't
think you can assume that the urgent mechanism is reliable anymore.

> Obviously you're not going to be able to address this whole problem
> in a document about TCP urgent data.  But if it's reasonable for your
> document to impose requirements on applications, it's even more
> reasonable for your document to impose requirements on
> intermediaries.

I'll let others weigh in...

>>> I also note that section 6 imposes a MUST requirement on
>>> applications that depends on a non-standard TCP sockets API
>>> feature (SO_OOBINLINE)
>> I guess this could be rephrased as "applications that still decide
>> to employ it MUST process the "urgent data" in-line, as intended by
>> the ETF specifications (e.g., by setting the SO_OOBINLINE socket
>> option)"?
>
> Pretty much.  Assuming, of course, that the host stack and API used
> by the application actually have the ability to do that. (maybe you
> should just make it a SHOULD for that reason)

Applications that are processing "urgent data" as "out of band" data
area already violating the specs -- hence the "MUST".

>>> 5. Add a informative section discussing the pros/cons of IP-level
>>>  intermediaries altering the URG bit. 6. Add a normative section
>>> which states that IP-level intermediaries SHOULD NOT alter the
>>> URG bit.
>> I don't think that tcpm is going to get consensus on "pros" of
>> altering the URG bit.
>
> Perhaps not, but my concerns are addressed to the entire IETF, and
> hopefully IESG will also give them careful consideration.

Fair enough.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
--