Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpm-urgent-data-06.txt> (On the implementation of the TCP urgent mechanism) to Proposed Standard

Hi, Keith,

Thanks so much for your feedback! Please find my comments inline...

> The document revises the specifications for sender and receiver handling
> of TCP urgent data, presumably in order to improve interoperability.

Actually, it resolves a disconnect between the specifications and
virtually all implementations of the urgent mechanism.

> In
> particular, sections 5 and 6 of this document impose RFC 2119
> requirements (SHOULD NOT / MUST) on applications.
>
> However,
>
>     * No requirements are imposed on TCP implementations.

The "requirement" on TCP implementations is in Section 4 (page 7).
However, it doesn't use RFC 2119 language as the text that it is
updating (RFC 793, RFC 1122) doesn't use RFC-2119, either.

>       This document
>       claims to "update"  RFCs 793, 1011, and 1122.  TWhat the document
>       should be doing, primarily, is specifying (new) correct behavior.
>        It's fine to describe how the new behavior varies from that
>       described in previous RFCs, and also how the new behavior varies
>       from that observed in popular TCP implementations.  But these
>       should be non-normative, descriptive sections of the document.
>        The primary job of a standards-track specification is to specify
>       the behavior.

Please see above.

>     * This document also does not place any constraints on
>       intermediaries, even though the document itself acknowledges that
>       intermediaries interfere with operation of the TCP urgent facility.

No TCP specs that I know of accommodate packet scrubbers or firewalls
that simply decide to clear a bit, etc (except for NATs, which are a
completely different issue). When they do (e.g., ECN), it's to
discourage such behavior.

> I also note that section 6 imposes a MUST requirement on applications
> that depends on a non-standard TCP sockets API feature (SO_OOBINLINE)

I guess this could be rephrased as "applications that still decide to
employ it MUST process the "urgent data" in-line, as intended by the ETF
specifications (e.g., by setting the SO_OOBINLINE socket option)"?

> Recommendations:
>
> 1. Label the descriptive sections of this document as non-normative, or
> otherwise make clear the distinction between the informative/descriptive
> portions of the document and the prescriptive portions of the document.

My take (probably biased, since I'm a co-author of the I-D), is that
Sections 4 through 6 contain all the requirements, and are clear in this
respect. I agree that some text could be moved out of Section 4, though.

What do others think?

> 2. Add a normative section describing new requirements on TCP
> implementations, even if the new requirements are very similar to what
> popular implementations already do.

Isn't this reflected in Section 4, already?

> 3. Consider defining (perhaps in a informative appendix) a uniform
> mechanism for socket-based applications to use to put OOB data inline.
> 4. Reword section 6 so that it's not specific to the socket API or
> particular implementations.

See my counter-proposal for Section 6.

> 5. Add a informative section discussing the pros/cons of IP-level
> intermediaries altering the URG bit.
> 6. Add a normative section which states that IP-level intermediaries
> SHOULD NOT alter the URG bit.

I don't think that tcpm is going to get consensus on "pros" of altering
the URG bit. I guess that the idea is that no firewall or packet
scrubber should modify TCP header fields.

But, again, I'd like to know what others think.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
--
Fernando Gont