From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Hascall Sharp <chsharp@xxxxxxxxx>, ietf@xxxxxxxx, olaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 09/07/2010 04:47 PM
Subject: Re: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

At 05:45 PM 9/3/2010, Hascall Sharp wrote:

>On 8/30/10 3:57 PM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
>...snip...
>>
>>Am I missing something?
>...snip...
>
>Yes.  The IETF is having too many meetings where physical presence
>is required in order to participate effectively in the work.

Creating the ability to mimic or replicate the effectiveness of a WG
meeting is only part of the benefit of attendance at an IETF.  Many
of us that have been going there for years and years have the benefit
of chance/rendezvous meetings in the hallway to discuss a topic

- that we didn't know was being discussed, or
- that we may now find ourselves in the middle of, or
- that a small group might want to have outside of the main
discussion area/session, or
- etc

Many of us have lots of ideas bantering around in our heads between
meetings (or that have been dormant for a while) that this type of
chance meeting could generate something of a meeting-of-the-minds
about starting something new or something different that how it's done now.

Many newcomers - whether this is their actual first meeting or just
in their first few meetings - actively or passively seek out certain
individuals for the possibility of having such a planned chance
meeting in a hallway.

None of this can effectively be done with IETF meetings moving to
webex or worse, only on email.

That said - I fully understand the financial burdens on people or
corporations during non-robust years of economic (non) growth, such
as we're in the middle of.

JMO, which could be wrong

James