RE: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] writes:

I should point out that Canada has most of the logistical advantages the usa enjoys, while imposing quite a bit less visa pain.

Well, yes, except that in my experience direct international flight to Canada are a lot more expensive than international connections to Canada through the US and since the concept of international transit is foreign to the American authorities (after all, having reached Heaven on Earth why would anyone want to go anywhere else? ;-), we’re right back where we started…