RE: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

Hadriel Kaplan [mailto://HKaplan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] writes:

> > Why Kauai?  You list detailed reasons why Hawaii is logical and
> > solves for many of the problems, but you don't say why this island.
>
> Because it's the nicest, obviously. :)

I strongly disagree: the leeward coast of Maui (in particular, Kihei &
south) is far better.  Kauai is way too rainy...

> >>   We can even rotate islands if people get bored.
> >
> > Well, there are extensive conference facilities on Oahu, the Big
> > Island, Maui, and Kauai.  I have no information as to if they would
> > work for a group of our size and with our need for breakout rooms.
>
> I used to attend IEEE 802 and they met in Kauai (Grand Hyatt in Poipu)
> every few years, but they were a smaller group.  There aren't many
> restaurants nearby, but I certainly don't remember anyone ever
> complaining about it. ;)

3GPP2 used to (still does?) meet in Wailea every December.  Although that is
also a much smaller group than the IETF, the hotels dwarfed it so it might
be possible to find a reasonable venue for the IETF.  However, I think that
this is just an idle fantasy: the IETF has too much moral fiber to meet
someplace that might actually be fun ;-).