Re: Is this true?

On 8/31/2010 12:21 PM, Bob Braden wrote:

The history of the development of email protocols is contained in the RFC
series. Those interested might for example look at RFCs 196, 458, 524, 772, and
788.

One of the myths that these early RFCs dispel is that email was a casual addition to FTP. I got involved in time for the very last FTP meeting, so I wasn't privy to any of the email discussions. I had heard a rumor that email got added as a result of a Saturday night's casual suggestion of an MIT grad student who happened to be passing by Abhay Bhushan's office -- he authored the FTP spec. About 10 years ago he reassured me that the real story was nothing like that. These RFCs bear that out.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking