Re: Is this true?

--On Tuesday, August 31, 2010 13:54 -0400 Noel Chiappa
<jnc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     > From: Fernando Gont <fernando@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>     > As far as I recall *reading* (I wasn't around at the
> time :-) ) email     > was a couple of FTP commands?
>
> That was more back in the NCP days (prior to TCP/IP). SMTP
> came in about the time TCP/IP was really starting to roll
> (don't recall the exact timing, but it would have been circa
> 1980 or so).

Yes.

But, regardless of whether one counts from FTP-based email or
from SMTP, the statement that email was the only application is
simply nonsense.  Telnet was alive and well, FTP was heavily
used (and I trust it is obvious that we could have had FTP-based
email without FTP), user and system information protocols like
finger and whois were around and in use, and so were a bunch of
things that are "applications" or not depending on one's
definitions and a fairly large collection of applications (not
just applications-support protocols) built directly on TCP (or
NCP, or later on various socket layers) whose descriptions never
made it into the RFC series.

     john