Re: Meeting Venue Preference Survey

On Aug 29, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

>> At the risk of turning this into a string of competing anectdotes
>

> It turned into that long ago.  In terms of the tone in these discussions, folk continue to believe that their personal experiences are relevant for deciding logistics policy in choosing IETF meetings.
>
> Unfortunately, such folk constitute a remarkably skewed sample of what is typically touted as the target population of IETF attendees.
>
> The premise to these anecdotes appears to be that IETF meetings are designed for people who have:
>
>  * hefty corporate travel funding        -- so money is largely no object

As someone who frequently pays for IETF travel out of my own pocket, I can assure you that this is not true for me.
Ditto for meeting and travel time sinks.

However, "90% of life consists of simply showing up," and that is especially true for the IETF; to participate, you have to show up, and that requires travel.

Regards
Marshall