RE: [78attendees] WARNING !!! Re: Maastricht to Brussels-Nat-Aero, Sat 07:09

Ole Jacobsen [mailto:ole@xxxxxxxxx] writes:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2010, Yoav Nir wrote:

> > Hopefully. But only the two hotels listed there have agreements and

> > special rates for IETF attendants. In Maastricht there were a lot of

> > hotels with special rates, so a lot were listed.

> Yeah, and people (as usual) complained that they could get much better

> rates outside the IETF block. Can't win that one.

Perhaps not (there will always be a Motel 6 or some such down the road), but that’s not the question & definitely not the problem.  The question is why, when the IETF has essentially promised to fill the Shangri-La Beijing for the week, is it possible to book a room on the Shangri-La Web site right now for the entire week of the meeting at less than the IETF rate?  The question is why I was able to book a room @ the Hiroshima hotel for less than half the IETF rate (admittedly w/o breakfast; was the “free” breakfast worth ~$80/day?).  The problem is that, eventually, the IETF will no longer be able to fill the conference hotel because of the outrageous rates “negotiated”.  IEEE 802 has already run into this and has had to resort to offering a meeting fee discount to those who spend at least one night in the conference hotel.  The IEEE got into that position, I’m told, thanks to the corruption of a meeting scheduler who locked them into a particular hotel chain for many years in advance in return for valuable kickbacks.  What is the IETF excuse?

Again, that’s not the problem: in about an hour I was able to come up with half a dozen 4*+ hotels as close or closer to the Shangri-La than the official overflow hotel @ a maximum rate of $72/night (for a new, deluxe 2 bdrm apartment).  Why should I have to?  Again, we’re basically promising to fill the hotel for a week in November; that’s worth money to the hotel but we don’t seem to be seeing any of it.  I’ve even been told that the IETF has recently been paying for the use of meeting rooms @ the conference hotel.  Why?