RE: Tourist or business visa from US?

You, or a visa company on your behalf, will be asking the Chinese consulate for a visa and as part of the application there will be an explanation of your planned activities in China.  The consulate will decide whether the type of visa requested is consistent with your planned activities and if so, it will grant you the visa.  Otherwise, the consulate will reject the application and tell you to re-apply for a different type of visa.

Once you have the visa, you are done.  I.e., Customs is not going to second-guess the validity of a visa issued by the Chinese consulate.  Issuing visas is the consulate's responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone