Re: Tourist or business visa from US?

Wow, I find this whole email thread shocking.

Given the text explanation you get of F and L visa from the embassy web site, which Mary quoted below, I have a very hard time seeing how anyone comes to the conclusion that L (tourist) visa is the right visa for an IETF meeting. I believe the the explanations that you are likely to get away with it, but I have a very hard time believing it is not breaking the law. I'd be fascinated to hear the reasoning of people who think it is legal.

On Aug 24, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Mary Barnes wrote:

> The note posted suggested that if you were planning to sightsee a day or more before or after the meeting that a tourist visa might be sufficient.
>
> However, I prefer to err on the side of caution in this situation since it clearly states on the chinese visa website:
>
> Business Visa (F Visa) is issued to an alien who is invited to China for a visit, an investigation, a lecture, to do business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges, short-term advanced studies or internship for a period of no more than six months.
>
> versus
>
> Tourist Visa (L Visa) is issued to an alien who comes to China for sightseeing or visiting family members or friends or for other personal affairs.
>
> Personally, I'd rather not risk any problems in this area. Since, my company is sponsoring to attend the meeting, I don't consider that I'm going to China for "personal affairs".  In my experience, you're typically asked why you're visiting a country and sometimes the questioner wants more details as to what you'll be doing. So, unless you have figured out a detailed sightseeing itinerary in advance, I would think it's possible you could easily answer that question unsatisfactorily.
>
> Just my opinion,
> Mary.
>
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Andrew G. Malis <agmalis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there a consensus that a tourist visa is sufficient to attend the
> IETF from the US?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Cullen Jennings