Re: IETF Attendance by continent

On 8/9/2010 12:00 PM, David Kessens wrote:
I think all these models that are based on where we are from are really
beside the point as where we are from really doesn't necessarily have any
connection with where we like to go.

David,

Sometimes, someone posts a comment that highlights a key assumption that has not been discussed adequately or at all. While there have been postings wandering around this particular question, I don't think it has been raised this directly. Thanks.

I thought the assumption was that we did want meetings to be (relatively) convenient to attendees who are contributors. I thought we wanted to spread them around the globe to spread the relative (in)convenience around.

If that is not true, all sorts of different choices could be made, such as having all meetings at the same venue.

Note that for folks who are well-funded, travel a lot, and will always spend all week at the meeting, various venue choices might not matter very much. However, that's a pretty exclusive club and I also assumed we wanted a model that was more inclusive to a wider range of participants.

My preference is to pick meeting sides that have the right capacity for the
IETF meeting and the right infrastructure for a good meeting, are relatively
easy to get to and allow for reasonable attendance cost for my employer.

That matches my preference, too, but I do not see how it supports or contradicts your point, above.

they wouldn't go completely overboard and have each and every
meeting in only one part of the world.

How is that going overboard? (I mean this as a serious question and definitely not as a preferred model.)

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking