Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

On Aug 2, 2010, at 5:48 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> Dear Joel;
>
> On Aug 1, 2010, at 10:08 AM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>
>> In hallway discussion about this, it was suggested to me that part
>> of the problem is that some folks can not figure out how to
>> socialize their ideas.
>>

> I would say that if a BarBOF is organized independent of the IETF
> process, it is not appropriate to measure it by the rules of the IETF
> process.
>
>> If ideas are really preliminary, sitting down with 4-6 other folks
>> who are skilled and informed on the particular topic to discuss the
>> idea, and try to firm it up makes good sense.  The IETF is a very
>> good place to do that.  That is what the traditional Bar BoF was for.
>
> The trouble I have with that is that I may not know who those people
> are, and even if I do it is hard (in my experience) to find vacant
> time slots to get those people together. (The IETF can be great for
> meeting and spending some time with people you don't know, simply
> because you are in the restaurant / bar / social together, but we all
> know it can be very hard to arrange time to meet with a specific set
> of people.) To get even 5 people together, it is frequently necessary
> to resort to a doodle poll, and that means a certain amount of
> organization.
>
> In the case of the 2 BarBOFS I organized at IETF-78, in both cases
> there were very useful contributions made by  people I didn't know and
> therefore wouldn't have invited. Even if the efforts fail (and one of
> them was DOA and will not move forward), I am glad to have had the
> opportunity to get to know more people in an area of interest to me.

And that is why I think that these meetings would have been better served if presented as a presentation, rather than a bar BoF.

Suppose we had a list of "non-WG presentations" with a listing like this

Title: Tunneling IPSec over HTTP using XML
Presenter: Marshall Eubanks
Draft:  draft-eubanks-ipsec-bloated-transport
Abstract:
For years now http has not enjoyed the benefits of XML. We are now about to change all that. No longer will IPsec be constrained to efficient formats.