Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

On Aug 1, 2010, at 9:45 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:

> Yoav Nir wrote:
>> Who's "folks"? A lot of people come to an IETF meeting, and are
>> only following one or two of the working groups. That does not mean
>> that they sit in their hotel rooms for the rest of the meeting.
>> Instead, they pick what looks like interesting meetings, and go
>> there, with the hope of catching something interesting.
>
> That's a really good point, actually.  I've also made a
> point in the past of attending at least one session
> completely unrelated to what I'm working on, in hopes of
> learning something or getting new ideas or new associations
> or something.  But still, it seems to me that there are
> two somewhat but not quite orthogonal questions here: 1)
> whether or not the increasing formalization of the bar
> BOF reflects an increased expectation of attendance in
> order to participate/advance work in the IETF, and 2) what
> a working group meeting is.

I'll pass on answering #2, but as for #1, I think the bar BoF "institution" is mis-used as a working group of last resort. If I can't present my idea at a regular working group (because of time constraints or because it doesn't fit the charter of any current WG), and I can't present it at the area gathering (for lack of space), adding a "bar BoF" to the wiki seems to be the only way. In the end we don't get a lot of discussion - merely a presentation + Q&A session. And still the "right" people are often not there.

So formalizing a bunch of presentations is a good thing, although I think it needs to be done differently.

Formalizing a bunch of people throwing ideas around (the "true" bar BoF) is not a good thing.