Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-naming-exts (GSS-API Naming Extensions) to Proposed Standard

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 05:23:16PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Recently I've tried to use draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-naming-exts in the
> design of a GSS-API mechanism.
> I think this is a good start but is not quite done yet.

I agree.  I'm not sure whether it's best to proceed to publication then
later publish another RFC, or if it'd be best to cancel the IETF LC and
improve this I-D.

> draft-hartman-gss-eap-naming-00 discusses a couple of problems with
> naming extensions:
>
> * The format of attribute names proposed in this specification is
>   incompatible with several of the things you'd like to name, in my case
>   including SAML attributes.
> * The description of how to name SAML attributes currently in the
>   document is inconsistent with the SAML base specification
> * The approach of naming things like SAML attributes entirely with a
> * The approach of letting a mechanism create authenticated attributes
>   with an arbitrary URI  makes the application's life really hard

One or more of your bullet points is incomplete, Sam.

> In addition, there is no way to get the identity of the issuer of a name
> attribute.

This is a big deal, IMO.

> I've discussed these concerns with one of the authors, Nico Williams. I
> have also requested time to present my concerns at the kitten meeting at
> IETF 78.

We should definitely discuss this next week.

> I'm happy to help resolve these concerns up to and including becoming an
> author of the document and writing significant text.

I think that's a good idea, however I'll let my co-author comment on
this as well, given that he's the primary author now :)

Nico