RE: tools location

> Safari on the Mac doesn't seem to be able to find its location at all,
> though. And as there's no GPS reception indoors (certainly not without
> any windows) I doubt _any_ system could provide a location that is
> accurate enough to be usable here.

The system is actually there based on an old GEOPRIV experiment that did exactly this.  We identified where you were based on the AP.  If you had HELD enabled in your browser, it would work (Firefox 4.0 includes a HELD client that you can enable in about:config).

(The lesson, don't assume that GPS == location.)

> A popup is ok if it's a reaction to a user action, not so much
> immediately upon loading the page.

Precisely.  Asking first, and tying the action to a button click would be safest for this sort of application.

One problem with location-enabled web is that we haven't yet established user expectations.  And browsers have inconsistent UI, which compounds the problem.

--Martin