RE: Nomcom Enhancements: Improving the IETF leadership selection process

I will respond only to one part of Jari’s email, specifically the part about the potential expertise requirement for part of the nomcom.

In the past there have been cases where some specific IESG members have been perceived by some members of the community as being a problem. There have also been some cases of perceived friction between areas of the IETF (the issues which I have been aware of in the past have been fixed as of several years ago). There are also of course many cases where various problems (big ones and little ones) in the operation of the IETF have been fixed by various combinations of IETF participants. I would strongly prefer to avoid details.

It seems to me that having some personal knowledge of at least some of these cases would be helpful in the task of picking future members of the IETF leadership. Of course experience in the IETF operation is not a guarantee of knowledge of (some of) these cases, and knowledge of past cases is not a guarantee of making perfect selections of candidates in the future (and none of us are perfect, which implies that there is no chance of selecting perfect candidates). However, some experience among some of the nomcom voting members does, in my opinion, significant improve the chances that such past experience will be taken into consideration in the difficult task of choosing between multiple good but imperfect choices for our leadership.

I also think that having personal knowledge and experience with how the IETF works is very useful in making choices among the people who have volunteered for IETF leadership positions.

I have never been a voting member of nomcom, but was a liaison to nomcom once. The particular nomcom to which I was liaison happened to have some very experienced members, as well as some less experienced members. This was very helpful IMHO.

To me Jari’s argument of wanting to bring new blood into the process is an argument for why some, and in fact the majority, of nomcom voting members should be chosen without the additional experience requirement proposed in the draft IETF leadership document. This if of course precisely what has been proposed (with only 3 of the 10 voting members requiring this additional experience).

Thus I support the expertise requirement proposed in draft-crocker-ietf-nomcom-process.

Ross