Re: Wallet theft in Brussels train station

> One moment of inattentiveness while putting my roller bag up in the over
> seating racks on the train from Brussels to Aachen (where I am for a
> pre-IETF meeting).  And they were middle-age men.

This is likely a common style of picking pockets. I ran across it in Simferopol,
Ukraine upon entering a bus to the coast, at the train station. In this case it
was rather obvious because the pair were loitering by the bus and when my
wife and I decided to enter, one of them went in the rear door and went forward
while the other followed me. I just cursed at them in Russian and they
eventually
gave up.

Thinking it over, even if you are very attentive at watching your surroundings,
when boarding transport your attention tends to be fully focused ahead of
you and you also expect people to be right behind. Since then, if
there is someone
behind me on an airplane or train, I put my luggage on the seat, then turn
180 degrees and leave the aisle until it is clear again. Then I go for the
overhead bins.

You may find this to be a useful protocol as well.

--Michael Dillon