Re: IETF privacy policy - still a bad idea

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Dave CROCKER <dhc2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/21/2010 3:33 PM, John Levine wrote:
>>>
>>> You appear to be concerned about exposing the IETF to risk by the
>>> adoption of a privacy policy (but apologies if I am misunderstanding
>>> the concern you expressed).  The absence of a privacy policy, however,
>>> actually increases risk to the IETF in at least three ways:
>>
>>  ... none of which applies since
>>
>> a) the IETF has no formal legal existence
>
> With creation of the IETF Trust, that is no longer true.  There also have
> been comments from one or another attorney that the absence of formal legal
> formation is not the same as no "formal" legal existence.  All of which at
> least suggests, once again, that we ought to leave legal pronouncements to
> attorneys (and even then, seek a second opinion.)

Especially when what is being suggested is an exception to the normal
case. In general, the more different a legal situation is, the more
important it is to take regular and specific legal advice.

A => B does not mean that !A => !B.

That is called denying the antecedent.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/