Re: IETF privacy policy - still a bad idea

On Jul 21, 2010, at 7:30 PM, John R. Levine wrote:

Exceptionalism really does not work very well as a legal strategy.

I'm not saying that the IETF is unique in the universe, but I am saying that all of the arguments advanced so far for privacy policies are relevant to corporations with employees and revenue and contacts, which the IETF definitely is not.

Someone pointed out that the IAOC, which does have a legal existence, could find a privacy policy useful, which is not unreasonable, but I do think that anyone who proposes such a policy should at least be familiar with the (non)structure of the IETF and identify what aspects of it apply to what four-letter bits.

The IETF Trust is a legal entity, as is ISOC. I am not aware of any reasons for considering the IAOC as having a legal existence.

Regards
Marshall

R's,
John