Re: Last Call: draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check (Representation and Verification of Domain-Based Application Service Identity in Certificates Used with Transport Layer Security) to Proposed Standard

--On Saturday, July 17, 2010 19:05 -0700 Paul Hoffman
<paul.hoffman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In any event,
>> the reason it occurred to me as something that might be useful
>> to say here is that the functions of this document would be,
>> IMO, particularly sensitive to having someone want to store a
>> name with the local label separator convention and that would
>> be a problem.  Possibly not more serious than other places,
>> but still possibly worth mentioning.
>
> But this would cause a false negative, not a false positive.
> It seems to me to be the same as many false negatives such as
> the app storing U+00B2 instead of U+0032.

Yes, absolutely.   And, again, if we disagree, it is about
whether the issue is worth mentioning, not whether avoiding
mentioning it would be some sort of showstopper.  I think it is
marginally worth mentioning.  You may think it marginally not
worth the bits.  But I can't imagine either of us losing a lot
of sleep about either outcome.

>> In any event, I consider the topic worth mentioning but
>> definitely not a showstopper.
>
> Agree.

Yes.  See above.
    john