Re: Admission Control to the IETF 78 and IETF 79 Networks

On 7/12/10 11:39 AM, Martin Rex wrote:
Personally, I'm heavily opposed to an approach along these lines.
It is a big plus that MAC addresses can be trivially changed,
and I regularly connect with random MACs in public places.
Russ and Ted discussed use of MAC addresses for access. I may have missed or misunderstood their point, although such a scheme is often used (and easily defeated) in typical coffee-shop settings. I may be wrong, and this is a good list for learning such things.

When security is desired, something like WPA2 Enterprise EAP-TTLS seems more realistic. Perhaps other options need to be included to overcoming third-party software for versions of Windows. This approach would keep information and privacy better secured, and systems less exposed to various exploits, since some attendees may actually need protection in the big city. :^)

Better security can be found with 802.1X-2010 that resolves some vulnerabilities by using MACSec 802.1AE to encrypt data between logical ports. This suffers a drawback of deploying client certs, of poor coverage, along with the anxiety that EAP-TPM might cause.
Personally, I'm somewhat less concerned about a unique or fixed ID in
my DSL-router.  I have only one DSL subscription with one single ISP,
and I need to authenticate to my ISP with userid&pass -- which makes
we wonder why should there be a unique/fixed ID in that device,
it is absolutely unnecessary.
Securing wireless must detect MitM attack. Using a cert at the server when making changes seems a small price.

-Doug