Re: Back to authentication on the IETF network (was: Re: IETF 78: getting to/from/around Maastricht)

On 7/12/10 5:48 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
What does "physically authenticate people" mean here?  Show that they
have a badge (common and meets the stated requirement of "keep the
IETF network for IETF attendees")?  Or write down the name?  Or write
down the name and the network port for the cable they pick up?

we'll probably never know.  do you know which particular parts of your
traffic at&t gives to the nsa?  modern police states are subtle.

You can however helpfully self-identify to them by logging into facebook.

the host provides terminal room security, not net ops.

People with ietf ops clue wrote the following once upon a time which I think goes a lot way towards setting our expectations for terminal room security (behave strangley and bring your own supply of green dots and you should fit right in)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ymbk-termroom-op-07

   6.1 Physical Security

       Physical security is difficult, with attendees walking in and out
       with laptops and other gear at all hours.  The guards SHOULD be
       told to expect strange things, but to not let large equipment
       walk out without a green badge.  Equipment has been "lost" in the
       past just before, during, or just after an IETF.

randy