Re: Comments on <draft-cooper-privacy-policy-01.txt>

Hi Randy,

> [ fwiw, i am not bothered if some folk well-versed in such things
>   develop and put forth a policy about how the ietf treats data
>   about members, attendees, network, ... ]
>
> > And "yes" we have researchers looking into the traffic, people storing
> > all sorts of data, etc.
>
> we do?  about our traffic on the ietf meeting network?  stuff other than
> the _ephemeral_ data the noc ops use to manage the network?

Yes, the IETF meeting network.

> as far as i know
>
>   o data collection has been done very rarely.  and when it has been, it
>     has been widely announced.

Openness and transparency is one of the privacy principles.
(but there are others...)

>   o there is no plan known by the net ops to do so in maastricht or
>     beijing at either of those meetings.

I don't know. There is no central place where I could lookup any of this info.

>   o aside from issues in the wireless deployment, the data about net use
>     at ietf meeings seems pretty boring to me from a research view

Maybe boring for you.
Some consider it a very large WLAN network, some others test their favorite tunneling technology with it, etc.

>   o but i am sure there are wifi spies snooping and playing.  and i
>     suspect that they will not be very respectful of any policy put in
>     place.

You have to see all privacy principles in combination in order for them to make sense.

> given the latter, i focus more on prudent personal net hygene and less
> on prose.
That's fine.

Ciao
Hannes