Re: Admission Control to the IETF 78 and IETF 79 Networks

Mike:

> Going back to the IAOC, I would ask whether this requirement
> was known at the time of the previous Beijing discussion?  If so,
> why wasn't it brought up at that point in time and as part of the
> discussion on venue acceptability.  If it was added later, when
> was it added, and why wasn't the requirement made known to the
> broader IETF prior to announcing the solution? Finally, I know
> this is a hypothetical, but would this requirement have tipped
> the IAOC decision the other way had it been known at the same
> time of the previous discussion?
>
> I don't mean to pick on either you or the IAOC - you both are doing
> a reasonable job steering among the shoals of the needs of the
> various constituencies - just consider this an inquiry into how the
> IETF should decide on how to decide whether a venue is acceptable.

In short, no, this was not known at the time the previous discussion
took place.  I could have raised this sooner, but I chose to wait until
a proposed solution was in hand so that everyone could understand the
impact.  Raising it earlier would have prompted questions that could not
be answered without a strawman for the solution.

In my view, the host is working diligently to ensure that the IETF
meeting participants have unfiltered access to the open Internet.

Russ