Re: Admission Control to the IETF 78 and IETF 79 Networks

Ted:

>> There's a difference, however, between ticking a box and having individual
>> user-attributable credentials.  The two techniques are focused on different
>> goals, generically binding users to an AUP, without caring who they are,
>> versus being able to identify individual users on the network (with more
>> detail than a MAC address).
>>
>> The proposal here is the latter, which would seem to raise the question of
>> why individual user attribution is necessary, i.e., why anonymity in the
>> IETF network unacceptable -- even within the pool of IETF participants.
>
> I agree with Richard's view here, and I suggest the following
> modifications to the  proposed admission control:
>
> 1) Use only paper-provided slips to provide authentication credentials.
> There is no stated reason for associating specific registration data
> with the network authentication method and it is trivial to provide
> the slips of paper to anyone with a proper badge.  Let the individual
> getting a slip shuffle the pile, get multiple slips every day, or do
> whatever else they would like to increase randomness.  But start from
> the presumption that the admission control is to limit access to
> "registered attendees only" not to provide an association to
> registration data.
>
> 2) Favor anonymous MAC registration over portal methods.  Set up a
> terminal or group of terminals which allow individuals to register
> their MAC addresses for access.   Allow anyone with a badge access to
> those terminals, and do not collect information on which individual
> entered which MAC address.  (The portal mechanism relies on a specific
> ordering of application protocol activity at best; at worst it
> provides a full-on monkey-in-the-middle.  That should be a last
> resort)
>
> 3) For the portal, there is no reason to have the MAC-based
> permissions created to be time limited.  If proper credentials from a
> slip of paper are entered, there is no reason not to treat this as
> equivalent to registration of the MAC address for the duration of the
> meeting.
>
>  My personal preference is that this requirement from the host be
> politely declined as contrary to the usual operation of the IETF
> network.   But if it is not going to be declined, then the admission
> control should not further the ability to associate specific
> credentials to individuals.

A few points in response:

1) Anonymous slips are available to anyone with an IETF meeting badge
that wants them, as often as they want them, from two sources: the IETF
registration desk and the network help desk.

2) The MAC address registration is available at the network help desk.

3) I have not discussed the portal time limit with the NOC Team, but
I'll recommend that the registration work for the whole week.

Russ