Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-00

Yaron:

> In general, I think this is a good idea. It might succeed in reviving
> the notion of formal interoperability reports. A few comments though:
>
> - Sec. 2 mentions that the criteria for Proposed Standard will not
> change. But the preceding section just described that our criteria (or
> processes) for publication are too onerous. So do we not address what's
> mentioned as a leading motivation for this change?

What a meant here is that the requirements in RFC 2026 for Proposed
Standard do not change.  With the opportunity for a "second bite at the
apple", I hope that the escelation that has happened over the decades
can be pushed back.

> - I think the name "Interoperable Standard" is unfortunate. First, it's
> a mouthful. And second, it implies that whereas we didn't care about
> interoperability before, now we suddenly do. As an analogy, suppose we
> had "Proposed Standard" and "Secure Standard". Instead, I think "Full
> Standard" or "IETF Standard" would be better names. After all, people
> are looking to the IETF for standards.

I am not wed to the name.  I'd prefer "Internet Standard" above the
names you suggest.

> - This is not to criticize the draft, but I am really wondering: at
> IPsecME we are close to publishing IKEv2-bis, and we went to great
> lengths to make it as faithful as possible to the original IKEv2 (RFC
> 4306), so that implementations that are compliant don't suddenly become
> non-compliant. Suppose we were to advance this large and complex
> protocol to the 2nd maturity level, is there a manageable process to
> eliminate features from the protocol (because there are no two
> implementations that implement said features) without worrying that some
> implementations out there have become non-compliant overnight?

We have always published a "bis" RFC that removes the features.  These
RFCs ought to explain the reason for the feature removal.  Support of an
obsoleted feature does not have to make an implementation
non-conformant.   For example, "legacy" features could be documented in
an informative appendix with a warning about the consequences on
interoperability if they are supported.

Russ