Re: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-hip-bone-06

Hi,

On 06/16/2010 05:58 PM, SM wrote:
Hi Ari,
At 00:43 15-06-10, Ari Keränen wrote:
On 06/11/2010 09:51 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:
-- 6.1:"[ TBD by IANA; 980 ]"
Does this mean IANA has already picked the number? Or is it a
recommended number? (Pattern repeats for other registrations)
It's a recommended number. Most of the IANA assigned numbers in HIP are not given sequentially, so it makes sense to propose a sensible value for IANA.

This recommended number was in a previous version of the draft since January 26. If you want to propose a sensible value for IANA, I suggest that you ask IANA about it before putting it in an I-D. Once a number is in the I-D, an implementor may start using it and it can turn into a problem if IANA assigns a different number.

This is how we have done it with pretty much all the HIP-documents updating HIP-specific registries, and has worked well so far (I don't remember any case when IANA had not allocated the proposed value). Of course this requires that one checks all the active HIP documents and the IANA reserved values list before selecting a value, and still there's a non-zero chance for a conflict, but these would be anyway resolved by IANA once (and if) the document becomes an RFC.

Possibly IANA could have a "pre registration" registry for the values in drafts, but probably this would just cause more work than resolving the conflicts (which are uncommon anyway) before the publication. Especially since the proposed values sometimes change during the lifetime of the draft, e.g., because a parameter is moved from signed to unsigned portion of the packet or it becomes a critical parameter.

That said, we can have a look with future drafts if some more coordination with these allocations is needed.

Cheers,
Ari