Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

> Sounds like you'll need to be looking up market, you're not really
> looking for a soho router at the point where you've got multiple
> external providers.

Who said anything about multiple external providers? All I'm talking about is
support for a small number of static IPs on a single network interface. Like
you'd need to run, say, a couple of small scale servers. This is NOT high end
in any way, shape, or form.

> This device and it's ilk represted the ipv6 functionality availble in a
> circa mid to late 2009 home router with a retail price of $100-$150.
> They are pretty good devices.

In your opinion, perhaps. But 10 years ago I bought a Sonicwall SOHO router
with all of the capabilities - except IPv6 support - I'm talking about here. I
think it cost around $250. Is it really too much to ask that, 10 years later,
for a comparable device with decent IPv6 support added?

> If you're comparing them to a sonic wall tz you're not really comparing
> the same class of device. by your own admission the later is inadequate
> so I'm not sure why you'd even bring it up.

The Sonicwall TZ 100 is available for $289. The D-link unit you are fond of
lists for around $160, the Airport Extreme for around $179, the Linksys RVS4000
is the cheapie in the group at around $110. Nevertheless, these are hardly in
vastly different price classes.

But let's assume, for the moment, that they are - that the extra $100-$200 is a
really big deal. So what? My point stands - you have yet to identify anything -
even an "upscale" box - that meets my stated criteria where "must be dirt
cheap" was conspicuous by its absence.

				Ned