Re: [TLS] Last Call: draft-hoffman-tls-additional-random-ext (Additional Random

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 05:10:35PM -0500, Marsh Ray wrote:
> On 4/26/2010 4:36 PM, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> > Ah!  Perhaps what's happening here is that Paul intends for the
> > additional random inputs to be provided by the _application_, from
> > outside the TLS implementation.  In that case an application could make
> > secure use of TLS even when the underlying TLS implementation has a poor
> > [P]RNG.  That would make draft-hoffman-tls-additional-random-ext much
> > more interesting (combined with some editing I'd drop my objections).
>
> But that facility could be provided by the implementation API without
> any need to extend the TLS protocol. Indeed, OpenSSL provides a function
> to contribute entropy into its RNG.

There is a lot of inertia in installed base.  If there are
implementations that allow for arbitrary extensions then Paul would have
acase.  However, I suspect there are not; unless I'm missing something
then I agree with this:

> Thus I do not think draft-hoffman-tls-additional-random-ext should be
> advanced as a standard.

Nico