Re: Pointing to IANA registries

[Replying to Mark, only because he inspired to make the remark]

On Apr 19, 2010, at 5:21 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Couldn't IANA just implement the "search format" as
>
>  http://www.iana.org/assignments/Registry-Name
>
> and cut out the middle man?
>
> Regarding the "20 year" argument, it seems to imply that one of the following will happen in that time scale:
>
>  1) HTTP will be replaced by another protocol in a non-backwards-compatible fashion, and support in software is dropped (i.e., obviating all existing HTTP URLs), or
>  2) URIs themselves will be replaced in a non-backwards-compatible way, and URI-handling software disappears (obviating all URIs, period), or
>  3) The domain name system crashes and burns irrevocably, or
>  4) IANA loses legal control of iana.org, or
>  5) IANA lacks the organisational ability to guarantee stable identifiers for its products, or
>  6) No Web serving software is available that gives IANA the ability to control their own URI path components, and it is illegal for them to write it themselves.
>
> If #1 or #2 happens (unlikely), we will have enough warning to revise the RFCs as appropriate, or provide a mapping to the new way of doing things. Not fun, but a reasonably calculated risk, given the shelf life of most IETF products.
>
> If #3 - #6 happens (likelihood is reader-deterimined), we've got far worse problems than some RFCs whose registries can't be easily found -- A STATE THAT I WOULD MENTION WE ARE ALREADY IN TODAY.

Slightly orthogonal to how one approaches long-term stability of references in RFCs there is the issue of the needs of the IETF. It is not completely hypothetical that in a far, far future there will other or even multiple 'vendors' that offer the service[*]. It that context stability is important too. See http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-iana

The IAB is close to finalizing that document.

--Olaf

[*] In fact there are two organizations today, see Appendix A of draft-iab-iana