Re: Pointing to IANA registries

Julian Reschke wrote:

> I was recently pointed at:
>
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5226#section-4.2>:
>
>                                                          All such URLs,
>           however, will be removed from the RFC prior to final
>           publication.
>
> I have to say that I think that this is very very wrong.

It might be worse than that, actually.

When RFC-5746 was recently published, the URL from an extremely useful
informative reference apparently got stripped by the RFC Editor:

draft -03:

   [Ray09]    Ray, M., "Authentication Gap in TLS Renegotiation",
              November 2009, <http://extendedsubset.com/?p=8>.

   [SSLv3]    Freier, A., Karlton, P., and P. Kocher, "The SSL Protocol
              Version 3.0", November 1996, <http://www.mozilla.org/
              projects/security/pki/nss/ssl/draft302.txt>.

RFC-5746:

   [Ray09]    Ray, M., "Authentication Gap in TLS Renegotiation",
              November 2009, <http://extendedsubset.com/?p=8>.

   [SSLv3]    Freier, A., Karlton, P., and P. Kocher, "The SSL Protocol
              Version 3.0", Work in Progress, November 1996.

But not only the URL was stripped, also the reference was changed
to a "Work in Progress" -- because that document happens to be
still formatted as a long expired I-D (both, the original authors
and TLS WG forgot to ask for publication as an information RFC).

Curiously, I did complain that the I-D marking and expiration was
never removed from this document, pointing out that some folks may
not believe that this is not the real/final SSLv3 spec -- and was
assured by several others that this would not happen.

Looks like it happened to the RFC Editor...  :-(

-Martin