Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-framework (A Framework forMPLS in Transport Networks) to Informational RFC

I have reservations about the readiness of this I-D.

The technical content looks ok, but the process by which it has been arrived at
gives me pause.

It is a crucial document for MPLS-TP, perhaps the most important after the
requirements ones, like, say, RFC3411 for SNMP.

This Last Call is on -11 which shows substantial changes from -10 (eg in S3.4)
and, despite assiduously tracking the list, I am unsure where these changes have
come from.  I do not see them discussed, I do not see any consensus declared for
(or against) them nor is there any explanation in the I-D itself.

The topics covered include some that have provoked considerable debate, over the
past two years, involving hundreds of e-mails, including a sequence where
several exceeded one Megabyte in size each.  Yet, again, I have not seen any
consensus declared on the list on most of these topics.

The topics I have in mind include; what is MPLS-TP?  Is it a layer network, in
the G.805/G.800 sense, a set of such layers or what? (and saying it is a Profile
has no meaning until the word 'Profile' has been defined in this context). S3.1
of this I-D, like its predecessor, talks variously of 'MPLS-TP network', MPLS-TP
layer network' and 'MPLS-TP server' which I find less than clear.

How does MPLS-TP relate to MPLS?  My sense is that it is a subset of a superset,
a superset because MPLS lacks, eg, adequate OAM, a subset to make it as simple
as possible but not simpler. (Again, simply saying 'Profile' is really only
tautology.

Are features in or out?  ECMP, NNI, PHP, multiple QoS?  I think that some of
these are still being debated as the Working Group Last Call proceeds in
parallel with this Last Call.

S-bit; how many allowed in the stack; I think that the consensus is one, but
then what does it mean, and what happens to the meaning it would have had when
there were more than one?

MIP; where and how many?

It is not that a view could not be formed on some of these issues from reading
the I-D, but where does that view come from?  Not, as far as I can see, from any
IETF WG list.

Tom Petch