Re: Gen-ART (belated) LC Review of draft-ietf-nsis-nslp-natfw-23

Hi, thanks for the response. Comments inline. I removed sections for issues that I think are closed:

On Apr 9, 2010, at 6:53 AM, Martin Stiemerling wrote:

[...]

>> -- section 3.2.8, "transitory" bullet: "When a node has received a
>> NOTIFY message, it
>>      marks the signaling session as 'transitory'."
>>
>> I assume this is content dependent, right? That is, this is not true
>> for any arbitrary NOTIFY?
>
> It is transitory for any NOTIFY.
>
> NOTIFY is indicating that something did get wrong along the path and
> that the NI should react immediately to this. However, making it
> context dependent has the risk that, if the path back to the NI is
> broken or if the path from the NI to the NFs is broken, that NFs will
> keep state for a too long time (probably until the session expires -
> which might be long time), despite the fact that the state is not
> needed anymore.

Okay.

[...]

>> -- section 3.4, 4th bullet:
>>
>> I'm not sure what "data exchange duration" means. Is this the time over
>> which the DS expects to send exchange data with the DR, or is it the
>> time required for one round-trip data exchange? If the first, how is
>> the DS expected to know this in advance?
>
> It is the time over which DS is sending its data. The formulation is bit
> blurry, as neither of us can tell how long this time will actually be.
> The time can range from few minutes (ftp download) to days (if used with
> GRID stuff). The way how the DS learns this is up to the implementer.

Okay.

>> -- section 3.4, paragraph before numbered list:
>>
>> Should there be a normative statement about using this algorithm?
>> (MAY/MUST/SHOULD)?
>
> I would say it should read RECOMMENDED. Is that fine?

Works for me.

>> -- section 3.4, first paragraph after numbered list:
>>
>> Is "refresh timer" the same thing as "message refresh period"? (i.e.
>> "R", above?)
>
> No, see text in 3.4:
> "   1.  The refresh message timer to be randomly set to a value in the
>      range [0.5R, 1.5R]."
>
> " This duration is modeled as R, with R the  message refresh period (in seconds);"

Okay,

>> -- section 3.4, paragraphs about signalling session lifetime being too
>> big or small
>>
>> Does the RESPONSE carry hints about the largest or smallest allowed
>> value?
>
> No it does not. However, there is no indication what the appropriate range is.
> How about adding the NATFW lifetime object to that error response message, in
> which the maximum session lifetime is indicated?

Works for me. Are you proposing a change to the text? ( I don't see this in version 24)

[...]

>> -- section 3.7.1, "Firewall:" sub-bullet:
>>
>> When is "later on"?
>>
>> If the FW gets a success RESPONSE from downstream, generates an error
>> RESPONSE due to a local failure, how do downstream devices learn of
>> this? Does it need to send a NOTIFY towards the NR?
>
> This is a mistake in the text - I guess this text got missed while
> editing.
>
> Changed to text to address the fact that error must be generated at the
> time when the CREATE is received, as the policy rule is already reserved
> and all checks whether it is compliant with local policies has to be
> done at that time.
>
> OLD:
>         When the initial CREATE message is received at
>         the private side, the NAT binding is allocated, but not
>         activated (see also Appendix D.3).  An error RESPONSE message
>         is generated, if the requested policy rule cannot be installed
>         later on, of class 'Signaling session failure' (0x6) with
>         response code 'Requested policy rule denied due to policy
>         conflict' (0x4).  The MRI information is updated to reflect the
>
> NEW:
>         When the initial CREATE message is received at
>         the private side, the NAT binding is allocated, but not
>         activated (see also Appendix D.3).  An error RESPONSE message
>         is generated, if the requested policy rule cannot be reserved
>         right away, of class 'Signaling session failure' (0x6) with
>         response code 'Requested policy rule denied due to policy
>         conflict' (0x4).  The MRI information is updated to reflect the

I think the change is good, but I notice you applied it to the NAT bullet, and my comment was on the Firewall bullet. I suspect the same issue applies to both?

[...]

>> 2nd and 3rd sentence do not parse.
>
> OLD
>   Each network edge that has the NATFW NSLP deployed can use EXTERNAL
>   request message to allow a secure access to the network.  This will
>   allow to open the firewall/NAT on the receiver's side.  However, the
>   edge-devices should not allow to be opened up completely, but to let
>   DR's to reserve very specific policies.  For instance, a DR can
>   request to reserve an 'allow' policy rule for an incoming TCP
>
> NEW:
>   Each network edge that has the NATFW NSLP deployed can use the
>   EXTERNAL request message to allow a secure access to the network.
>   Using the EXTERNAL request message does allow the DR to open the
>   firewall/NAT on the receiver's side.  However, the edge-devices
>   should not allow to be opened up completely (i.e., applying an allow-
>   all policy), but to let DR's to reserve very specific policies.  For
>   instance, a DR can request to reserve an 'allow' policy rule for an
>

>> s/"matching CREATE request"/"matching the CREATE request"
>
> fixed.
>

>> 2nd to last sentence does not parse.
>
> At what part?

Hmm. It parses now. Sorry, I can't remember my objection so it must not be important.

[...]

> Checked:
>
> - changed intended status to experimental
> -There is one complain about using private IP addresses instead of the
> example addresses. However, since this document is about NATs, private IP addresses
> are needed anyhow.

Okay.