Re: Advance travel info for IETF-78 Maastricht

On 3/30/2010 9:09 PM, Dean Willis wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2010, at 4:55 AM, Robert Kisteleki wrote:
>
>> On 2010.03.30. 11:41, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>>> I'll prepare information about all of this as soon as I know the
>>> transition status during the IETF week. And in any event, there are no
>>> early booking / online booking discounts for Dutch train tickets, and
>>> buying online with Dutch Railways requires the iDEAL payment system that
>>> only Dutch banks use.
>>
>> That reminds me: if you intend to use a credit card in electronic
>> contexts (such as buying train tickets at a machine, etc.), you should
>> make sure you know your PIN code. On the way home from Anaheim I
>> helped some guy who had some problems because he wasn't even aware
>> that his card had a PIN code.
>>

> Many US cards do not work in point-of-sale applications in Europe even
> if one knows the PIN code. Last Spring, I had 6 US bank cards and a
> SwissPost card rejected at the train kiosk in Amsterdam, and I believe
> the same 6 failed at whatever IETF we last went to in Europe, because I
> recall borrowing train tickets from Ole.

SO the answer is to call the card provider and make sure they will honor
your charges in that foreign country. This is actually a really good
idea since for personal cards they (the Card Provider) bear all of the
risk so they are locking down out-of-area charges for personal cards as
much as possible.

The solution is to keep your card company informed of your travel plans,
or get a card which is intended for that purpose.

Todd

> --
> Dean

begin:vcard