Re: Advance travel info for IETF-78 Maastricht

Note: I unintentionally wrote off some German airports that _may_ be suitable for travel to Maastricht, such as Cologne/Köln. But be careful with any of the smaller airports in the region, check ground transportation before you book or you may be in for nasty surprises.

On 29 mrt 2010, at 4:37, Michael Richardson wrote:

>    Richard> IAOC: I had been getting used to the idea of Maastricht,
>    Richard> with it being historic, nice city center and all.
>    Richard> Iljitsch's observation makes me wonder if we learned

> it appears one has to cross the river?
> Iljitsch can you confirm the end points are reasonable?

> Looking at the street map, I think that there are might be many closer
> restaurants, such as on Wycker Brugstraat.

> I wasn't in Dublin, so I don't know the issue there.
> Was the problem like in Vienna?

In Dublin, we were outside the city, with travel times by car or bus of 30 or more minutes. However, some impromptu lunch facilities were set up at the venue so those who didn't have time for a real lunch could buy a sandwich or two.

I don't remember what I did for lunch in Vienna, but there there was good public transport.

In Maastricht the situation will be different from both: because it's a small city, public transport isn't very high frequency / high capacity, but we'll be within walking distance of the city center, so for _dinner_ this shouldn't be a problem. It's just that in my opinion, it's not doable to have a decent lunch within 1.5 hours if you have to walk 4 km. (Also note that going out for lunch isn't as common in the Netherlands as elsewhere, not every restaurant serves lunch.)

Like Henk said, the Vrijthof is considered the center square of the city, but you don't have to go all the way there, once you get closer to the main railway station there should be places to eat. And the maas (meuse) river isn't quite as wide here as it gets in Rotterdam, it doesn't take the whole day to cross it.  :-)