Re: On the IAB technical advice on the RPKI

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> There is a big difference in real engineering (i.e. outside a
> university) between a solution that only addresses part of a problem
> and one that is 'useless'.

> In observed attacks and in simulations, the IP-AS number attack is
> much more significant than the routing layer attack in most
> circumstances.

I'm not sure what are the IP-AS attack and the routing layer attack
and whether you are worrying about attacks today or year 3010.

So, before continuing discussion, I think you should write a draft
precisely defining problems including the attacks. The draft may
be more than 100 pages long.

It should be noted, however, that, it is likely that I point out the
attacks are identical, if I have enough time to read everal lines of
the draft.

> There are many security concerns that BGP security could address. The
> only concerns for which a BGP security solution is essential is to
> prevent Denial of Service attacks and to prevent hijacking of IPv4
> space

The point of previous discussion was that RPKI is useless for such
prevention. Read the ML log.

> after exhaustion is reached.

With A+P, it will be reached in year 3010 or later.

						Masataka Ohta