Re: Last Call: draft-ogud-iana-protocol-maintenance-words (Definitions for expressing standards requirements in IANA registries.) to BCP

Olafur,

> In my mind there are basically three kinds of IETF working groups:
>    1) New protocols/protocol extensions frequently with limited
>       attention to operations.
>    2) Protocol maintainance groups
>    3) Operational groups
>
> RFC2119 words are aimed at the first type, and can to limited extend
> be used by the third type, in the case the recommendations are
> "static".
> As the second and third types of groups will become more common and
> contentious it is important to think about how to clearly allow
> these groups to express "guidance" in selecting "options".

I'm all in favour of making things easier for people trying to use
our standards. I don't believe that adding duplicative terminology
to the IANA registries is the right way to do it; I believe that will
only *increase* confusion and the risk of ambiguity.

Something like draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd seems much more
hopeful but never reached IETF consensus.

Meanwhile, to repeat myself, why don't WG's write Applicability
Statements as defined in 1996 by BCP 9 (RFC 2026) section 3.2? We've had
this mechanism for 14 years, maybe it's time to test it.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter