Re: Towards consensus on document format

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>>
>> What I find rather puzzling here is that most of the defenders of the
>> status quo are saying 'document format is really no big deal, why make
>> a fuss'.
>
> ??  I haven't seen anybody argue that, actually, and it would
> be odd if they did.

I see numerous statements of that form in the thread.

>> I am in class E. I find being required to edit documents in
>> teleprinter format to be very insulting to me personally.
>
> That's another odd argument, although it does tend to
> support that this is a matter of individual sensibilities.
> As nearly as I can tell, people who like to work lower in
> the stack tend to prefer certain kinds of formats and
> people who work higher in the stack tend to prefer others.
> People who don't like strongly-typed languages probably aren't
> going to be enthusiastic about strongly-typed document
> formats.  It could come down to tastes and possibly
> to comfort level with various tools, and it seems unlikely
> to me that haranguing people about it will change their
> personal relationships with the various technologies.

And people wonder why the applications people have mostly deserted to
W3C and/or OASIS.

I don't see the relevance of strong typing. When I worked on routing
level issues I was using formal methods to specify them. It does not
get any more strongly typed than Z/VDM.

One of the reasons I prefer using XML for document preparation is that
it allows me to use automated tools to assemble / validate individual
components of the spec. For example when I was working on SAML 1.0 I
had scripts that generated the schema and documentation from a source
file and then validated the examples against the schema.

--
New Website: http://hallambaker.com/
View Quantum of Stupid podcasts, Tuesday and Thursday each week,