Re: Error in Security Considerations in an RFC

Hi Florian,
At 00:35 13-03-10, Florian Weimer wrote:
I've come across a RFC which basically says, "in order to do X safely,
perform checks Y before you do X".  It turns out that it's possible to
evade those checks.  What should I do about it?  I've already
contacted the author, and he says that no update to the RFC is
planned.  Should i just file an errata?  The problem is not really
critical, fortunately.

The alternatives are:

(i) File an errata [1]. Only a few people will read it. A few of these few people might fix their implementations if they can be bothered to do so.

  (ii) Write an I-D to document the flaw and propose a fix.

 (iii) Write a revised version of the specification as an I-D.

If the RFC was the output of a WG, you'll have to convince the WG to adopt your I-D for (ii) and (iii). Alternatively, the I-D can be an individual submission. You'll have to convince an AD to sponsor it [2]. It's not much of an effort to do (i).

Regards,
-sm

1. http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/errata-processing.html
2. http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/ad-sponsoring-docs.html