Error in Security Considerations in an RFC

I've come across a RFC which basically says, "in order to do X safely,
perform checks Y before you do X".  It turns out that it's possible to
evade those checks.  What should I do about it?  I've already
contacted the author, and he says that no update to the RFC is
planned.  Should i just file an errata?  The problem is not really
critical, fortunately.

(The nature of the protocol makes it pretty much impossible to notify
implementers privately.)