Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

What concerns me rather more is the observed fact that rather a lot of
implementations appear to be built on the basis of the text in the
O'Reilly Nutshell guides than the RFCs which we hope to be regarded as
canonical.

I certainly don't read ASCII RFCs or IDs as source material if I can
help it. Modern typography is designed to make the process of reading
printed material easier and less error prone. As a case in point I
have on many occasions noted that people have failed to notice text in
RFCs because they mistook it for boilerplate that could be elided.

The idea that there is any lack of tools for processing HTML or XML is
just plain silly. Producing RFC ASCII on the other hand is something
that can only be done using an obsolete piece of software written for
on obsolete printer. I never read the ASCII version of an ID if I can
find an HTML version.

As a pragmatic fact, XML2RFC has practically replaced the ASCII format
RFC as the canonical form already. The only obstacles are the IETF
tools that deliberately and insultingly make it difficult to access
the HTML version.

We could easily move to a world where all that was required to produce
an RFC was an XML version and that the RFC editor made all chances to
the XML version as canonical. Instead we have this weird little game
where the XML is converted into nroff, edits are made there and the
result becomes the canonical.

Document format matters because first impressions matter. The ASCII
format RFC tells the reader that the document was produced in the
1960s and is not to be taken seriously. The only way to make a worse
impression would be to cut letters out of a newspaper headline and
stick them onto card board in irregular patterns, ransom note style.

If we are going to get anywhere with Internet security we are going to
need to address usability. It is pretty hard to do that when you are
drawing diagrams in ASCII art.

HTML documents with PNG or SVG figures will be decipherable for at
least as long as mankind has the ability to make electricity.
Currently roughly 50% of the total global information corpus is in
that format. Even if production of HTML documents stopped tomorrow we
can be absolutely certain that there will be courses taught in
interpreting HTML documents in 100 and 1000 years time (unless we melt
the planet first). People bothered to decipher the hieroglyphics,
someone will bother to decode HTML even if the knowledge is ever lost.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Besides your eyes, (only one in some cases), you don't need any extra
> junkware to be able to read the RFCs, even better, without eyes you
> still can do it since text to speech works very nicely with ASCII.
>
> There could be some compatibility problems with some ancient blueware
> still using EBCDIC.
>
> Keep the ASCII
>
> Cheers
> Jorge
>
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Periodically, there are flame wars on the IETF mailing list that the
>> IETF should / shouldn't adopt the latest fad is document formats,
>> postscript, PDF, whatever, since, after all, "everyone" uses them,
>> claims they are too complicated and keep changing resulting in
>> version/font/... problems are overblow, etc. As a data point, I would
>> refer people to
>> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/031010-hackers-love-to-exploit-pdf.html
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Donald

New Website: http://hallambaker.com/
View Quantum of Stupid podcasts, Tuesday and Thursday each week,
http://quantumofstupid.com/