Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11.03.2010 17:54, Jorge Amodio wrote:
>>
>> Besides your eyes, (only one in some cases), you don't need any extra
>> junkware to be able to read the RFCs, even better, without eyes you
>> still can do it since text to speech works very nicely with ASCII.
>
> I'd claim that accessibility for properly authored HTML will actually be
> better, for instance the markup can express whether something is prose or
> artwork.

HTML uses ASCII as far as I remember, some tags, URIs and URLs may be
impossible to decipher these days but still ASCII (I've to admit that
some folks still use-abuse extended ASCII on HTML pages instead proper
encoding and lang selection).

About text to speech, it only takes a forward or going trough one of
the stupid no context aware robo-translators and you will get your t2s
interface reciting "gee tee ampersand semicolon greater than eich ref
equal lower than bee greater than ..." I guess you get the point.

And I agree with Martin, all other formats add a lot of unnecessary
crap to the documents, embedded fonts, meta-crap data, hooks to track
document changes.

And ASCII is more eco-friendly :-)

Cheers
Jorge