Re: NetFPGA tutorial with IETF in Anaheim

Hi,

On 2010-2-5, at 16:52, Aaron Falk wrote:
> Details about this event and registration information are posted on-line as:
> http://netfpga.org/tutorials/IETF2010/index.php

the page says: "Cost of the tutorial is $200."

I'm trying to understand if this is a for-profit event. The reason is that I'm growing somewhat concerned with the recent trend to have more and more non-IETF meetings during or adjacent to the IETF weeks, which distract or at least take energy away from the IETF-related meetings (Sunday has always been *the* day to prepare for the week). But at least so far, those events have been free to attend.

If we're now seeing events co-located with the IETF that charge attendance fees, we're running the real risk of having folks get day-passes for the IETF in order to attend non-IETF meetings. (The cost of this tutorial is ~1/3 of an IETF registration.) Conversely, I don't see the chance of getting additional attendees into the IETF based on these side meetings.

Thanks,
Lars

PS: I do believe that the topic of this particular tutorial is interesting for a good chunk of the IETF attendees, myself included. My main concern is the monetary aspect, a minor concern the potential with taking energy away from the IETF week.