Re: Most bogus news story of the week

Changing the BGP specs is easy, whether they have IETF 'permission' to
do so or not. At worst just declare a BGP4, there is no real
disadvantage to doing so as the move to a different charging regime
would require all participants to upgrade in any case.

That is the place where the scheme falls apart with or without IETF
involvement. If they had the political organization to get people to
agree to charges then putting together a mechanism to collect them is
going to be simple in comparison.

And as with all these schemes, ascribing them to a country is
ridiculous. They will be the brainchild of some mid level
engineer-functionary with a bee in their bonnet. Probably someone who
is engaged in the ITU process. So another mid level functionary goes
to the House of Lords technology committee to describe the proposal in
the most hyperbolic terms possible.

Given all the nonsense folk have attributed to my motives over the
years, I am pretty skeptical when others infer the motives of
technical proposals beyond the immediate purpose. In this case it is
hard to see how the proposal, or indeed any routing level proposal
would enhance the already formidable censorship capabilities of the
state.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Steven Bellovin <smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Marshall Eubanks wrote:

>>> Where I would raise a flag is, charge whom ?
>>>
>>> This sounds very much like the way that international long distance used to be done. That the Internet does not support that is to me, at least, not a bug but a very desirable feature.
>>
>> And you can get into transit charges. How much does Country B charge for data from Country A going to Country C?
>>
>> Oh such FUN!!!! Shades of X.25 gateways! Oh, oh, and Teletypes. Oh yes it was SOOO much fun working out the best way to route messages back in my Automotive days... We need X.400-style routing tables back!
>>

> I think this is at the heart of it, and why I'm taking it very seriously.  This isn't about netflow or netflow++.  As we all know, pairwise (peerwise?) settlement payments are quite common.  But the only reason to put charging information into BGP is to enable -- and require -- much more complex payment regimens.  From a government perspective, it might about about setting prices high for traffic from, say, an AS that hosts content they don't like.  From some folks perspective, it might be "the" answer to the network neutrality debate: they don't discriminate, they just want to be paid by the sender.  It would discourage folks who host or post too much content, or run services like Tor for free.
>
> I don't think this idea is coming from people who don't understand the Internet or its current economic models.  I think they understand it all too well.  I think this is a thoroughly bad idea that really should be stopped dead in its tracks, both for policy reasons and -- see rgm's comments -- technical ones.  (Here's another amusing thought.  Imagine that a charging rate announcement is denominated in Elbonian zorkmids.  Do you want to download foreign exchange tables into your BGP preferences configuration?)
>

>                --Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

New Website: http://hallambaker.com/
View Quantum of Stupid podcasts, Tuesday and Thursday each week,
http://quantumofstupid.com/