Re: Most bogus news story of the week

On Dec 19, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Steven Bellovin wrote:

> I don't think this idea is coming from people who don't understand the Internet or its current economic models.  I think they understand it all too well. I think this is a thoroughly bad idea that really should be stopped dead in its tracks, both for policy reasons and -- see rgm's comments -- technical ones.  (Here's another amusing thought.  Imagine that a charging rate announcement is denominated in Elbonian zorkmids.  Do you want to download foreign exchange tables into your BGP preferences configuration?)

FWIW, operators already use BGP attributes (primarily communities
that denote intra-pop, on-net, off-net, trans-oceanic, SFI v.
transit, etc..) today for distance-sensitive billing models.
Between current flow-based telemetry data and BGP attributes such as
communities, no new standards work required, methinks...

-danny